- Osteoarthritis affects a staggering 350 million people worldwide. In the U.S., the number of sufferers is 21 million.
- Do you suffer from pain and stiffness in one or more joints in your body?
- Have you been diagnosed with arthritis, or are you over 40 with pain and joint stiffness?
- Rheumatoid arthritis is different than osteoarthritis and is rooted in an autoimmune disorder.
- This disease is a chronic inflammatory disease that causes pain and deformation of the joints.
- The symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis include fatigue, fever, weight loss, warm, swollen and painful joints, and joint stiffness.
The Cause of Osteoarthritis
One of the reasons that osteoarthritis is so common over the age of 40 is that our life expectancy has lengthened over time but the biomechanics of our bodies remains the same. Over time, the cushioning cartilage in our joints wears down, and eventually, bone can rub against bone and cause small bone growths that limit motion and cause pain. Being overweight and participating in activities that wear on joints, such as cycling or playing tennis, can cause the timeline for osteoarthritis to shorten so that you can feel the effects of it before you are 30.
Rheumatoid Arthritis Cause
The root cause of rheumatoid arthritis is an autoimmune disorder. There can be a genetic component to having any autoimmune disease, but other factors can also be involved. When the body attacks itself in rheumatoid arthritis, it mainly affects the synovial membrane, the lining of connective tissues found in joints. The body releases chemicals that cause swelling that are supposed to help heal the initial problem. The swelling itself becomes chronic and makes the problem worse.
Acupuncture Offers Relief for Osteoarthritis and Rheumatoid Arthritis
Acupuncture works to relieve pain from both types of arthritis in similar ways. One thing acupuncture aims to do is it reestablish a balance of the energies, known as chi, and that runs through energy channels, known as meridians, in your body. Chinese herbs can be used to help with anti inflammatory efforts, and an overall sense of well-being can be achieved from the relaxation and the uptick in serotonin and endorphins that an acupuncture treatment can deliver.
Newport Acupuncture Center has a highly trained and experienced practitioner of Traditional Chinese Medicine in Dr. Oh. Call today to make an appointment and let Dr. Oh apply his healing arts to your arthritis.